On Sunday, May 5, 1935, 162 people met to worship for the first time as Cassel Amish Mennonite Church. Cassel's beginning was necessary due to overcrowded conditions at East Zorra Amish Mennonite Church, located on the 16th Line of East Zorra township. The Cassel congregation purchased an abandoned meeting house from the Evangelical United Brethren Church on the 17th Line, just one concession road to the east.
For many years, the Cassel and East Zorra congregations functioned as one congregation with a joint pastoral team of Bishop Daniel Iutzi, ministers Jacob R. Bender and Menno Kipfer, and deacons Dan Wagler and David Swartzentruber. The preaching switched from German to English in 1930.
In 1964, Cassel voted to become a separate congregation. Vernon Zehr was pastor.
Our Amish Mennonite Conference of Ontario changed its name to the Western Ontario Mennonite Conference in 1963. In 1988, this conference merged with two other conferences to become the Mennonite Conference of Eastern Canada.
In 1994-5, the congregation carried out a major addition and other significant renovations to the church building. The addition and renovations were paid off late in 2000.
The years have brought many changes. We remain a rural church committed to ministry in our rural setting. May our Lord strengthen and empower us to work for the unfolding realm of God!
Cassel Mennonite Church 696556 17th Line, R.R.# 1 Tavistock, On 519.462.2251